Tax season is here! And there’s free tax help in your area. Click here to learn more.

Clic aquí para leer en Español

The tax season is once again upon us and you may be wondering, “how will I file my taxes this year?” or “I wonder how much I can get back in refund?”, etc.  For many of us, filing taxes can be confusing and hard to determine if we filed everything correctly and filed for all of the appropriate tax credits available to you.

In order to ensure that your taxes have been filed accurately and that you have not missed any important tax credits, it is important to have your taxes completed by an accredited tax professional.  If you can’t afford one, try looking at the resources below to see if there is free tax help in your area or if there is a free online tax help tool that can help you correctly process your 2012 tax claim:

 Free tax help for qualifying New York residents:
  •  Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program: The VITA Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally, $49,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. To locate the nearest VITA site, call 1-800-906-9887   or check this partial VITA site list online. (This list does not include every VITA site.)
  • Tax Counseling for the Elderly: The TCE Program provides free tax help to people aged 60 and older.  For more information on TCE, call 1-800-829-1040.
  • AARP Tax Help: AARP also offers free Tax-Aide counseling program at more than 7,000 sites nationwide during the filing season.  To locate the nearest AARP Tax-Aide site, call 1-888-227-7669   or visit AARP’s website.
  • Contact your local United Way: United Way partners with many local agencies to help provide free tax help services to families in need.  If you are still having a hard time finding help, contact your local United Way office. Click on this link to find your local United Way office.
Free tax help for residents of NYC only:
Free online tax help:
  • ICAN E-File: an easy online program that will guide you how to file your NYS Tax.  Before using this you must have filed your federal taxes: Read more here:
  • Turbo Tax: If you earn less that 31,000 you may be able to file your taxes using Turbo Tax.  Click on this link to read more about Turbo Tax’s free online program.
  • Beehive Online program: If you earn between 31,000 and 57,000 you may qualify to file your taxes with the easy to use Bee Hive Tax Online Program.  Visit their website to learn more:
  • IRS Free File program offers free federal preparation and electronic filing with participating private software companies. Click here to get a list of all participating companies, IRS Free File program.

If you have questions about tax credits or your tax payer’s rights check out New York State Tax Information on LawHelp/NY.  Click here for Free Legal Resources on Tax Issues for New Yorkers.

Sign Up for Email Updates

One Comment

  1. Pingback: Find out if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) - My New York Legal Help : My New York Legal Help

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>