HEAP is bringing back its AC Cooling Assistance program, as of April 1, 2013!
The HEAP Cooling Assistance Program assists with the purchase and installation of air conditioners not to exceed $800 or a fan to eligible households. Whenever possible, window air conditioning units with an Energy Star rating will be installed. Only one air conditioner will be provided per dwelling. No additional HEAP cash benefits are available.
Applications for the HEAP Cooling Assistance Program will be accepted beginning April 1, 2013 through August 30, 2013, or until funds are exhausted, whichever comes first. Cooling benefits and services are provided on a first come, first served basis to eligible households.
Your household may be eligible for a HEAP Cooling Assistance Program benefit if:
- You and your household members are United States Citizens or qualified aliens, and includes an individual with a documented medical condition that is exacerbated by heat AND
- Your household’s gross monthly income is at or below the current income guides for your household size as posted in the table below or
- You receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamp) benefits or
- You receive Temporary Assistance or
- You receive Code A Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone)
Your household eligibility requirements include filing an application with your local Department of Social Services, providing all necessary documentation, and the household must reside in an eligible living situation.
To read more about eligibility and income requirements, click here.
You may apply for the HEAP Cooling Assistance Program at your local Department of Social Services.